Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Twittering Bosses

Last month I had received a chain mail that pictorially elucidated the repercussions of adding bosses to your friends list. I’m sure it’s an old one but it was still an eye-opener. Ok, I’m hoping I’m not going to be as thick as the girl who got fired bitching about her boss and job on Facebook, but I’ve realised that you never know what can instigate you to do foolish things.
However after I did my own search to figure out if it was really true, I was quite surprised when I read through some of the comments the post has received. I do agree that people who twitter away on social networking sites about people they know are being inconsiderate. And when you do it so openly your actions are bound to boomerang back and hit you too, which most of us don’t realise at that time, but what I was wondering is that, can bosses be forgiven for being nasty? I mean I’ve seen a lot of bosses twittering about their subordinates too but why is it that their actions or in this case words not posted on blogs and forums for everyone to see, dissect, debate and admonish?
A friend of mine recently showed me comments posted by his immediate boss and super boss on Facebook, which I should say was rude and for him quite demotivating. I don’t doubt it when two of your superiors are happily twittering about their team’s lack of gumption it can be fairly depressing. Last heard he was working overtime to make a good impression.
Their “innocent banter” has made an over-slogging man out of my friend but I don’t know if it was what the bosses were actually hoping to achieve. Because they I’m sure were quite oblivious to the fact that everyone on their team would also be privy to their twitters. What with people adding colleagues to even the milk-vendor to their friends list nowadays! Whatever the case might be, I felt it was ethically wrong to vent your frustrations about your co-workers or subordinates so openly on social networking sites. After all everyone makes mistakes but should that be openly thrashed out for the whole world to see?
When an obnoxious subordinate’s folly is openly scrutinised and debated online, why haven’t people been vociferous about the allusions made by tweeting bosses?
When it comes to pinpointing faults why should slipups be overlooked based on hierarchy?

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate your point of view. But I'm sure a good boss would rather discuss with his/her team first rather than sounding them on Social platforms. Today tweeting has become a part of parcel of many; its primarily raising their opinions like the one you have on your article.

    ReplyDelete